Warning: Daily Moisturizers May Not Provide the UVA Protection They Promise
A study recently published in the Archives of Dermatology suggests that daily moisturizing creams that contain UV filters and claim to provide broad-spectrum UV protection may not provide protection from UVA rays. The researchers chose 29 best-selling creams in the US which claimed to provide broad-spectrum UV protection, analyzing the ingredients in order to assess the level of UV protection the creams provided.
The researchers were looking for the presence of UVA filters avobenzone, octocrylene, ecamsule and zinc oxide. The study found:
- Six of 29 day creams contained no active ingredients that provide UVA protection
- Seven of the remaining 23 creams contained only zinc oxide. Only 3 of these contained more than the 5% zinc oxide that is necessary to provide sufficient UVA protection
- Sixteen products contained avobenzone, but only three had adequate concentrations of octocrylene necessary to stabilize the avobenzone on contact with UV rays.
Dr Lowe responds: "This study reinforces the importance of ensuring your day cream contains UV protection with ingredients that are fully tested, stable and proven. Avobenzone, one of the ingredients analyzed in the study, is notoriously unstable on contact with UV rays. In the EU, we are fortunate in comparison with those living in the USA, as we are able to use combinations of Triazine filters, which are stable and have been stringently tested for UVA protection."
Dr Lowe has long been a champion of the importance of broad-spectrum UV protection, having written over 100 research papers on sunscreens and authored three definitive books on sunscreens for researchers and physicians, all of which establish that small amounts of UVA, even on cloudy or winter days and through glass, will lead to skin ageing and skin cancers. This passionate belief in the importance of UVB and UVA protection is one of the original reasons he created the first moisturizing day cream with proven UVA filters.
Dr Nick Lowe's daily sun protection products proven to protect against UVA and UVB are:
- The Secret Is Out Lifting Cream with SPF 15+ UVA
- Supercharged SPF Day Cream + UVA
- Double Duty SPF 15 Hand Cream + UVA
For further information or to arrange an interview with Dr Lowe please contact: Wizard Public Relations on 020 7725 9290 or email email@example.com